Cienega, Fort at the Marsh
Cienega originally served as headquarters for Faver’s livestock operations and was the starting point for his cattle drives to Indian reservations and, later, railheads. The confluence of two prolific springs creates a marshy terrain that was favored by Indians and is today channeled into irrigation channels servicing a garden environment.
Built along Cienega Creek in the mid-19th century and modeled after his headquarters ranch complex at nearby El Fortin del Cibolo, El Fortin de la Cienega was the second property developed by Milton Faver as he expanded his holdings. Located at the Cienega site were dwellings for laborers, work rooms, stone corrals, fences and holding pens. The primary activity at El Fortin de la Cienega was cattle ranching, and Milton Faver employed several families as vaqueros (cowboys) and laborers. Following Faver’s death, his property was divided between his wife, Francisca, and his son, Juan Faver, who received title to La Cienega. After Juan’s death in 1913, his heirs sold the Cienega complex to neighboring ranchers John A. Pool, Sr. and J. W. Pool. It remained the property of the Pools and their heirs — the Greenwood family — until the 1990s.
Today, the Cienega complex includes the meticulously restored fort, a nearby hacienda and pool, extensive gardens and stone corrals, two rifle and pistol ranges and a sporting clays course.